A few weeks ago, I posted some pictures of my canning projects.  I didn’t even say that the last picture was salsa, but that is what everyone thought. Well, you were right!

I am really proud of this salsa. I have been searching for several years for a good salsa recipe. You know, if you go to all that trouble of getting and chopping all those tomatoes, peppers, herbs, and spices, you want it to be good.

You’ve asked for the recipe. So, here it is. Don’t tell anyone. It is our secret.


The main character (If you don’t have this, it won’t be the same. Give up now!):
IMG_5118
After searching for so long for a good salsa recipe, I was about to give up hope. Until one day when I was shopping for jars and lids to do my summer canning. I found a pack of salsa mix that I decided to try. This stuff was awesome. I mean this stuff was so good that after making the first batch, I had to find more. I went to 6 stores in 2 days (and called two others) to find more of the salsa mix. O.K., I’ll admit that the 6th store was actually to pick up a prescription, and I just happened to find more of the product line there.



IMG_5134-2 
All you have to do is peel, core, and chop your tomatoes (or use canned tomatoes), add some vinegar and the season packet. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. You can serve it immediately, can it, or freeze it.






I call this “Slap Your Grandma Salsa.” Huh? You’ve never heard that phrase? Let me translate: This salsa is so good that you will be out of your mind, forget your manners, and “slap your grandma.” Several years ago, we had a family gathering and I told my grown niece to “Try this salsa (the one we had that day). It’ll make you stand up and slap your grandma.” She replied, “Nuh-uh. My Grandma’s here!” I don’t think she ever did try that salsa.

I’m linking to Mouthwatering Monday.

Disclaimer: I’m only sharing this recipe because I liked it and you asked. Mrs. Wages does not know who I am. I did not receive any compensation from the company for this review. I had to buy my own mixes, grow and chop my own tomatoes, and make my own salsa. And you can dang sure bet that I’ll be eating it too! Maybe I should have called it “Little Red Hen Salsa.”

The grass is green. It’s good to be

date Monday, July 26, 2010

6 comments to “Slap Your Grandma Salsa”

  1. April@The 21st Century Housewife
    July 26, 2010 at 1:34 PM

    Your salsa sounds delicious - and I love the story behind it :)

  1. Melinda
    July 26, 2010 at 2:09 PM

    Love fresh salsa - but I haven't found a good recipe for a canned variety. I might need to give this one a try! Love the name! :)

  1. Heather
    July 27, 2010 at 1:44 AM

    I love it. I will definitely try this salsa when we get back from vacation.

    I recieved my first blog awards today and I think your blog embodies the traits they represent, so I wanted to pass them on to you.

    Visit my blog to check them out!

    http://blessing-farm.blogspot.com/2010/07/lovely-little-miss-sunshine.html

  1. Emily
    July 28, 2010 at 12:14 AM

    Which niece was that? She sounds smart.

  1. Duchess
    July 28, 2010 at 8:22 AM

    It sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing :0)

  1. Dawn
    July 30, 2010 at 9:54 PM

    wow, this sounds delicious! I am following through Follow Me Friday, how cute is your blog!! Love it! So nice to meet you :)
    dawn
    http://flipoutmama.blogspot.com/

Leave a Reply:

I'm around kids and critters all day. I'd appreciate some adult human conversation. Please leave a comment.