I’ve never been one to follow trends. While most women cut their hair short after having a baby, I decided to go long. I had had my hair short for my entire life.

 

In this shot when the prince was about 6 months old, my hair is as short as it has been for the last 10 years. After that, I found it a lot easier to “pony and go” than to dry, brush, and curling iron, (not to mention frequent trips to the hairdresser) to keep that styled look. From that point, I started growing my hair out.

before I have no idea why I am whistling.

Approximately 3 years later, it was long enough to cut and donate to Pantene Beautiful Lengths. This program provides wigs to chemotherapy patients through the American Cancer Society.

after

 

Of course, that meant I had to dry and curl the ends if I wanted to be anywhere near presentable to go out in public. With a spirited 3.5 –year-old and a 13-month-old, that was not in my plan! So, I started growing it out again.

 

beforehairGood Golly Girl! Put some color on your face !

Last week, about 3 years after the first donation, it was long enough to cut again! I had Prince Charming measure to make sure. Then, made the appointment. Last Saturday afternoon, I told my hairdresser (Miss Kim) just to make sure it was at least 8 inches (the minimum for Pantene Beautiful Lengths). She made the ponytail and measured.

 

Before Miss Kim made the cut, she asked me if I was sure that I wanted to do it. I am not one to be prissy about my hair. IT WILL GROW BACK!!!! Oh, and while I’m on this tangent … why do hairdressers always ask how you want the back? I DON’T CARE! I’m not going to see it anyway. In all likelihood, how it looks when I leave the salon is the only time it will look that way.

 

O.K. Back to the haircut…

afterhair

TA-DA!!!!!!

 

When I got home, the prince met me at the door and said he thought I was going to look like someone else. (We had looked at online photos and discussed everything from Halle Berry’s pixie to Lady Gag’s whatever-it’s-called.)  Later in the evening, the princess wanted me to “tape the ponytail back on.” I think Prince Charming is still undecided.

 

As for the ponytail, I measured it. Since it was so thick, she cut it in two section. They measure from 10-11 inches!!!! This time, I am donating it to Locks of Love. This organization provides hairpieces for children with hair loss related to medical conditions.

 

I am so loving my new haircut. I don’t have the wispy strands tickling my face or all of it getting wrapped around my neck while I sleep. The sides are long enough to pull up on top when I need to (around the house) or tuck behind my ears to run errands.

I didn’t blog about my new doo to get a pat on the back for being a do-gooder. I just wanted to bring attention to these organizations who do good for others. If you have long hair and are thinking about a bold new style, check them out before you make your cut.

 

I’m linking to Feature Yourself Friday, Follow Me Friday, and I’m Lovin’ It.

Disclaimer: My TOS  crewmate Wendy from Homeschooling Blessings was the inspiration for this post. Read her story here.

 

The grass is green. It’s good to be

 

date Friday, September 3, 2010

5 comments to “Cutting Loose”

  1. Kelly
    September 3, 2010 at 10:37 PM

    I've been wanting to get my haircut too. it's been really bothering me. Anyway, last time I cut mine I sent it to Locks of Love. I hadn't heard of the Pantene one. That's cool! I'll definitely check into them when I get mine cut - which hopefully will be sooner rather then later.

  1. berrypatch
    September 4, 2010 at 2:44 PM

    I used to always have short hair. I started growing it at the end of high school and long hair for a long time after. Then I found a local hairdresser that can take as little has five inches for donations. I started growing it out to have that amount cut. I'm now growing it back long after two years of having it short.

  1. Unknown
    September 5, 2010 at 4:33 PM

    That's a great thing you do. Mine doesn't grow at all.
    Following from bloghop...please follow back!
    http://funfritzfamily.blogspot.com/

  1. Melinda
    September 7, 2010 at 3:54 PM

    I love the new 'do! My sister is growing her hair out for Locks of Love - what a beautiful gift to give!

  1. Emily
    September 7, 2010 at 7:22 PM

    I likes it. I feel like if I ever donated mine it would get rejected and sent back to me with a note saying, "Thanks, but we have no use for frizzy, think, waves where it wants, Florida-humidified hair."

Leave a Reply:

I'm around kids and critters all day. I'd appreciate some adult human conversation. Please leave a comment.