My goal was to have this post up yesterday, but that didn't happen.


On Sunday, I picked Prince Charming up at the airport at 11 a.m. We had lunch at our house with his father and aunt as part of a ruse to get the father to his surprise 80th birthday party. Then, we had the party. After a week of 11 hour days in the strawberry patch, we were too exhausted to do much else.


Yesterday, we received more than two inches of much-needed rain. That means the patch was all-but closed. We gave our wonderful helpers the day off and remained open for pick-your-own customers. We had two! That gave me a chance to run errands (which I planned to do anyway), make a batch of jam, and catch up on a few things on the "need to do now" list.


So, here is today's yesterday's post...


This is a strawberry cobbler based on my mom's peach cobbler recipe. It is still kind of a work-in-progress. The pictures are for a double-batch in a 9x13 dish. The recipe below is for a single batch in an 8x8 pan.


What you'll need: flour, sugar, baking powder, milk, butter, and STRAWBERRIES that have been lightly sweetened to taste.



Place the butter in a baking dish and melt it in the oven as the oven heats to 375 degrees.


Mix together the sugar, flour, and baking powder. Isn't that a great photo ... the use of color and shadow? It's not? Well, let's add something else...


Stir in the milk.  Did that help the color and shadows?


Pour it all over the top of the melted butter. DO NOT STIR!


Top the batter with the strawberries. There's the color for which I was looking. DO NOT STIR! Mama said so!


Bake for 30-35 minutes until the batter rises and turns a lovely, delicious brown. Let cool slightly before the next step.


Grab one (or two) of these and add it to the top of each serving.


OH YEAH!!

Now, this recipe came out with more of a crust to fruit ratio than I usually like. It was still good. Next time, I would add more (perhaps double) fruit. Four hungry teenagers later, it didn't matter

Here is the recipe for this time:

Mom's Strawberry Cobbler

1/2 cup butter (don't even think about using margarine!)
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries mixed with a small amount of sugar (to taste)
               --I would double the fruit next time

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Melt butter in an 8X8 pan. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and milk. Pour batter over melted butter. Pour berries over batter. DO NOT STIR! Bake for about 30 minutes until batter floats to the top and is brown. This is great plain or even better served warm with ice cream.

I'm linking to
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, and Tuesday Tastes.

The grass is green. It is good to be The Cow Queen.

date Tuesday, May 18, 2010

5 comments to “Strawberry Cobbler”

  1. Samantha
    May 18, 2010 at 10:31 AM

    This sounds and looks delicious, love strawberries !!

  1. Laurie in SC
    May 18, 2010 at 4:28 PM

    Oh.my.goodness. Looks simply delicious! I will def have to make this one. I have the similar one for peach cobbler. I also have made a chocolate cobbler - heaven! I need to post that recipe on my food blog sometime. {Hearts} Laurie from lauriesfoodfiles.blogspot.com TFS! And your blog header is soooooo cutie-moo!

  1. Debbi Does Dinner Healthy
    May 19, 2010 at 12:00 AM

    Wow, this looks good. Great pictures! Thanks!

  1. If I Could Escape . . .
    May 19, 2010 at 8:10 PM

    Oh my! That looks delish! I'm taking my littlest one blueberry picking tomorrow and think I must make it but with the blueberries.

  1. Unknown
    May 20, 2010 at 5:50 PM

    I LOVE COBBLER! I have never tried strawberry cobbler....I better fix this soon! Thanks for linking to Tuesday Tastes! Polls just opened for the People's Choice Award! Stop by and and vote when you get a chance -just click on your fav recipe!

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy

    http://crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com/2010/05/tuesday-tastes-8.html

Leave a Reply:

I'm around kids and critters all day. I'd appreciate some adult human conversation. Please leave a comment.